Back to where I've started

by - 02:45

So it's the year 2019.


It's 6 years since I've went to my Europe trip and I'm back where I've started. I'm planning a trip to Europe this year, and don't worry, it's not a crazy-round-Europe-backpack-tour I planned out back in 2013. When I looked back at my travel itinerary not too long ago, I just said to myself, what was I thinking? The first hostel you've booked was a mixed-dormitory? And you wanted to even go to Italy yourself? Are you sure you did all that under $3,500 SGD?

6 years later, I'm more sane, more sober, more down to earth. Less the wide-eyed girl who viewed the world through rose-tinted glasses. But some things don't change - my thirst for adventure.

So I'm planning for my next solo adventure and I feel more confident, more prepared than 6 years ago. 

To the people who've asked me why solo, and commented that I'm being brave...here's what I've to say. 

Solo - the short answer is that my friends are either not free, or don't have enough money. Spring only comes once a year, and I've been procrastinating going off to somewhere for the past 2 years. 

About being brave - Nah, I don't think I am that brave. But if there's anything I've learnt is, the best thing to do about your fears is to embrace it. Will I be bored or lonely when I'm overseas? Yes, it's likely that I will be. I'll be dining out by myself alone most of the time. Taking in all the sights and views by myself, yes. These things will be inevitable, and I think that the best thing to do is to embrace and face up to the fact that these things will be a reality, and thinking of what I can do to overcome these fears or potential difficulties. 

Some people travel by themselves for different reasons. For me, it's simply to see the world, and fulfill my thirst for adventure and travel. I believe that confidence comes with experience, and the more diverse your experiences, the more confident you become, and the more rich your perspective gets. 

Travelling solo has also taught me different things - but alas, it's a bit too much to type in all in a post. 

So for now, adieu, and will update when I've reached there!

You May Also Like

0 comments